Thursday, August 21, 2008

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Because I don't think I can write objectively about the tenth album in our list, I'll just say right off the top that In Rainbows is absolutely my pick for this year's Nationwide Mercury Prize. Having said that, given Mercury's penchant for the lesser-known artists, I don't think it will win. Although this being Radiohead's fourth nomination, maybe it's about time.

In Rainbows is a compelling synthesis of all the best Radiohead has ever offered. It is free, lyrical, scratchy, noisy. It seems as though they cast off the shackles of Capitol and were instantly better for it. Straight from the horse's mouth: "I like the people at our record company, but the time is at hand when you have to ask why anyone needs one. And, yes, it probably would give us some perverse pleasure to say 'Fuck you' to this decaying business model."

Below, every song from the album. If you have an hour, I strongly suggest checking it out. If you have two minutes, start it and see if you want to come back for more.



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: