Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

Number four in our trek through this year's Nationwide Mercury Prize nominees took a while to grow on me, I admit. This music is so subtly detailed that on first listen it came across to me as boring. But Guy Garvey's lyrics are gold, and the sound is rife with intricacies that I never noticed the first time around. Take Starlings, below. After the initial bout of head clearing noise, the diaphanous melody and echoing harmonies lull you towards a melancholy triumph. "So yes I guess I'm asking you / to back a horse that's good for glue / and nothing else." Epic.

The other thing about this album is that it's so diverse that I found it really difficult to choose a representative track. If you dig what's below, definitely hit their MySpace for a more thorough introduction.



Things to click in the video: Please do click through to Elbow's MySpace for a listen to some of their other material. Another favourite of mine is Station Approach (from another album). Album cover in the corner is click-through-to-buy.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: